Before you begin flossing your smile, do you know if your flossing technique is correct? Well, we’re here to help you find out! If you are currently doing the following five things, you are on the right track:
1. Use about 18 inches of floss when you clean your smile. Wind most of it around one of your middle fingers and then wind the rest around the same finger on the opposite hand. This finger will hold the dirty floss as you move from tooth to tooth.
2. Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers.
3. Gently slide the floss between two of your teeth. Use a gentle rubbing motion and be careful not to snap the floss into the gums. This will damage the tissues.
4. When you reach the gum line, be extremely careful. Curve the floss into a “C” shape and gently slide it into the space between the gums and tooth.
5. Rub the floss along the sides of every tooth and don’t forget to floss the back of your last tooth.
Remember to use a clean section of floss as you clean between each tooth. This will help you have the best cleaning job possible. If you do not do the mentioned five things, we strongly recommend that you adjust your flossing technique today! It’s easier than you might think, and it’ll give you the improved oral hygiene you are looking for.
Call our office today if you would like to know more about flossing and oral hygiene. We look forward to talking with you!