Most snacks like potato chips or cookies are not good for your dental health because they are high in starches that stick to teeth or sugars that plaque bacteria use to create acids. But frequent snackers can improve their dental health by switching out there regular treats for these six snacks that are good for the health of your smile.
- Dairy: Cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products are great for your smile because they contain protein and calcium which strengthen teeth. Additionally, they are low in sugar.
- Nuts: Nuts not only contain protein that strengthens teeth, but eating them involves a lot of chewing. Chewing increases saliva flow, which washes away food debris, neutralizes acids, and brings in substances important for maintaining dental health.
- Fruits and Veggies: These snacks are high in water and fiber, which helps to clean teeth and balance sugars. They stimulate saliva flow and many contain vitamin C (which promotes healthy gums) and vitamin A (which helps to build tooth enamel).
- Lean Protein: Meat, fish, poultry, and eggs contain protein and phosphorus which help to strengthen and rebuild tooth enamel.
- Sugar-Free Gum: Chewing sugar-free gum can actually reduce your risk for tooth decay by stimulating saliva flow. Try chewing gum for 20 minutes after a meal, which is a time when teeth are more vulnerable because of acid attack.
- Dark Chocolate: It is okay to have a sweet treat occasionally, and when you do, try dark chocolate. This is high in cocoa, which has been found to strengthen teeth and reduce the risk for cavities.